Release Date: March 29, 2017
KEARNEY - For the eighth year, area residents and organizations will be recognized in June for their work in developing programs that make Central Nebraska a healthier place to live. The recognition is part of the Healthy Community Awards program, a unique opportunity to celebrate the good health of Kearney and Buffalo County citizens and those individuals and groups who, through their leadership, education and assistance, help make the community a healthier place to live.
Contributions from individuals and groups throughout the Kearney and Buffalo County community are significant in the continued efforts to keep this community a healthy place to live. Area residents are encouraged to nominate local individuals, businesses and organizations for their work in making the region a place to live. Nomination forms are available at www.CHIhealthGoodSamaritan.org. The deadline to submit a nomination is May 1, 2017 and forms should be returned to Anissa Paitz at Good Samaritan.
The Healthy Community Awards include a total of six categories - advocacy, education, prevention, partnership, leadership and recreation. A local advisory committee will select award recipients based on their contributions in a particular category.
The committee is seeking nominations for the following categories and descriptions:
• Advocacy is awarded to the group or individual who has creatively implemented health improvement or awareness programming on behalf of a specific population.
• Education is awarded to the group or individual who has provided health education opportunities and is an advocate of health within the community.
• Leadership is awarded to the group or individual who has shown outstanding leadership in the community by preventing, promoting or protecting health issues.
• Prevention is awarded to the group or individual who has provided a service or program that makes a significant contribution to preventing injury, illness or disease.
2016 winners were:
• Advocacy-Kearney Whitewater Association
• Education-Elaine Mefferd
• Leadership-Jenifer McBride
• Prevention-HelpCare Clinic
• Recreation-Keith Koupal
• Partnership- Buffalo Co. 911 Communications Center
A luncheon recognizing the Healthy Community Award winners will take place preceding the Community Olympics on Friday, June 16.
2017 Healthy Community Award Nomination form (pdf format)
2017 Healthy Community Award Nomination form (Word format)